How do I delete a symbolic link? To remove a symbolic link, use either the rm or unlink command followed by the name of the symlink as an argument. When removing a symbolic link that points to a directory do not append a trailing slash to the symlink name.
How do I unlink a file in Ubuntu?
- Open the Ubuntu terminal application (bash shell)
- Type any one of the following command to delete a file named ubuntu.nixcraft.txt in the current directory.
- rm ubuntu.nixcraft.txt. unlink ubuntu.nixcraft.txt.
Does rm remove symbolic links? Removing a symlink using rm
The rm command is the dedicated tool for deleting files and directories from the system. Because the symlink itself is a file, we can use the rm command to remove it. The following rm command will remove the symlink. To remove multiple symlinks, use rm as you would to remove multiple files.
How do I unlink a folder in Linux?
- A system running a Linux distribution.
- If you want to remove an empty directory, add the -d flag to the rm command: rm -d Example.
- Use the -r flag to delete a directory that contains subdirectories and files.