How do I install Java on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit?
- Install the “Main” repository with apt: sudo apt-get update.
- Install OpenJDK 8: sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk.
- Verify that Java and the Java compiler have been properly installed: java -version javac -version.
How do I install Java on Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit?
- Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type: cd directory_path_name.
- Move the . tar. gz archive binary to the current directory.
- Unpack the tarball and install Java. tar zxvf jre-8u73-linux-i586.tar.gz. The Java files are installed in a directory called jre1.
- Delete the . tar.
Which Java version is best for Ubuntu? The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is required to run Java programs. Nowadays there are many JRE packages available from a variety of projects and companies, but the two most popular on Ubuntu are OpenJDK and Oracle HotSpot.
Can I run Java on Ubuntu? Ubuntu comes with both main OpenSource Java IDEs – NetBeans and Eclipse. For a first installation, default-jdk is a must and openjdk-X-jdk is not enough.