How do I remove a symbolic link? To remove a symbolic link, use either the rm or unlink command followed by the name of the symlink as an argument. When removing a symbolic link that points to a directory do not append a trailing slash to the symlink name.
Does rm remove symlinks? The rm command is the dedicated tool for deleting files and directories from the system. Because the symlink itself is a file, we can use the rm command to remove it. The following rm command will remove the symlink.
How do I unlink a file in Ubuntu?
- Open the Ubuntu terminal application (bash shell)
- Type any one of the following command to delete a file named ubuntu.nixcraft.txt in the current directory.
- rm ubuntu.nixcraft.txt. unlink ubuntu.nixcraft.txt.
How do I unlink a folder in Linux?
- A system running a Linux distribution.
- If you want to remove an empty directory, add the -d flag to the rm command: rm -d Example.
- Use the -r flag to delete a directory that contains subdirectories and files.