How do you kill X?
- Hit CTRL+ALT+F1 and login using your credentials.
- kill your current X server session by typing sudo service lightdm stop or sudo stop lightdm.
- Enter runlevel 3 (or 5) by typing sudo init 3 (or sudo init 5 ) and install your .
- You might be required to reboot when the installation finishes.
How do I exit X in Linux? To exit X, click on an unused part of the desktop and a pop-up menu will appear. From the menu, select the Exit, Logout, or Quit menu item. X shuts down, returning you to the familiar text-based interface of the Linux shell prompt.
How do I start X in Ubuntu? Boot into a text screen and use startx
If your Ubuntu system boots into a text screen, for example a minimal system or a server system, you can use startx to start xserver (and a simple window manager like openbox or fluxbox or a desktop environment like gnome, kde, lxde, xfce).
How do I start X server from terminal?
- To start an X session on a workstation, or an X terminal, enter:
- To force start an X session on a workstation, enter:
- To start an X session for an X terminal, and log off the user’s telnet session, enter:
- To start an X session using the .xinitrc script, enter: